1. "Can Iraq's new military hold the line?" We are going to be in Iraq for quite some time.
Representative Sample: "I don't think the U.S. Air Force will be able to leave Iraq for at least five years, as there's no way the Iraqis alone will be able to deal with any kind of air threat for this period," said retired Brig. Gen. Musa Qalleb, a Middle East defense expert.
2. "Big Knife, Bigger Man" Amazing story.
Representative Sample: Shrestha took out his kukri and went to work. In short order he had killed three and injured eight so badly they couldn’t get off the train. This one guy then chased the remaining dozens of thieves into the jungle.
3. "Atheists Raise $3.3 Million in Microfinance Loans To Alleviate Poverty" If you've never seen it, Kiva is worth checking out. It's remarkable how far small amounts of money (to Americans) can go in various parts of the world.
Representative Sample: Many people in the developing world don’t want a handout. They have ideas for small businesses they can start, often with only a few hundred dollars of investment. Unfortunately, they do not have access to conventional lending. Even when banking is available, they often do not have collateral to secure loans.
4. "Tuning graphene film so it sheds water" Applications for graphene.
Representative Sample: “Graphene films are transparent and, because they are made of carbon, they are very inexpensive to make,” Dickerson said. “The technique that we use can be rapidly scaled up to produce it in commercial quantities.”
5. "You Eat Too Much Meat, And Only Big Nanny State Can Stop You" Food Nazis.
Representative Sample: The authors of the UN report have called for government intervention to increase the price of meat in the West and thus reduce consumption.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.