1. "FROM THE JULY/AUG ISSUE: The Soft-Power Fallacy" A good analysis of one of the wishful-thinking components of Obama foreign policy.
Representative Sample: What Obama is doing, frankly, is pushing for the appearance of short-term economic recovery that’s brought on by dumping huge sums of government money (borrowed from our international creditors) into the economy.
2. "Turkey in Cyprus vs. Israel in Gaza" Comparison illustrates Turkish hypocrisy.
Representative Sample: This Turkish rage prompts a question: Is Israel in Gaza really worse than Turkey in Cyprus? A comparison finds this hardly to be so. Consider some contrasts
3. "'Stop, Question, Frisk'" This is somehow ok, but the federal government is suing Arizona for having police check immigration status for already stopped individuals.
Representative Sample: In other words, pretty much anyone the police find suspicious they can and do search. The residents have mixed feelings. They need the police but also fear them, knowing they can be stopped and searched essentially without cause. The tactic's one clear success is in alienating much of the youth in these neighbourhoods.
4. "The coming crusade" Violent Christian backlash against Islam in Africa? Links to an interesting Ralph Peters article.
Representative Sample: Pushed far enough, Christians will respond -- and it won't be pretty. The African church could become the church-ultra-militant.
5. "China Hides Its Iron Fist" The quiet military build-up against Taiwan.
Representative Sample: By the end of the year, China will have nearly 2,000 ballistic missiles aimed at Taiwan. That's ten times more than there were ten years ago, and 50 percent more than just two years ago.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.