1. "The World's Worst Counterterrorism Ideas" Crazy & counterproductive ideas from around the world.
Representative Sample: For many years, militant front groups in Pakistan were able to take advantage of a loophole in a 1997 anti-terrorism law to hide in plain sight -- so long as they changed their name.
2. "Permanent Record" A good article on the issue of video-taping the police.
Representative Sample: If police are worried that their actions will be deliberately misportrayed in the media, then instead of banning civilian video-recording of arrests, let the police fight back in the same venue with an honest, untampered video recording.
3. "Not-So-Secret America" This is very similar to my own thoughts on reading the Washington Post "Secret America" piece.
Representative Sample: Perhaps we're a bit jaded, but our collective response to all of this is a giant...yawn. If you've spent any time in military, homeland security, intel or government appropriations circles since that fateful day in 2001, the "revelations" of the Post series are nothing new.
4. "US Should Show Strength, Not Weakness in Korean Military Exercises" Interesting analysis & argument.
Representative Sample: Although the robust naval exercises display formidable military capabilities, they are overshadowed by the perception, if not the reality, that the U.S. postponed and then altered its military plans in deference to Chinese objections. Coupled with the impotent U.N. response to North Korea’s attack on the South Korean naval vessel Cheonan, the result is not a show of strength by the U.S. and South Korea, but rather an appearance of weakness.
5. "Majority Of Americans Support Off Shore Drilling, Plurality Support Deep Water Drilling" It would be nice if the support were stronger, but I guess this is as good as can be expected after the huge spill.
Representative Sample: As Obama continues to fight the courts in an effort to ban off shore drilling, the public continues to support the industry:
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.