1. "What to Do About North Korea" I often disagree with Walt, but this is a pretty good analysis.
Representative Sample: we want to let Seoul take the lead in responding to this attack (while letting them know that we have their back), because we want our Asian allies to start taking more responsibility for their own security.
2. "Red China: The Master Behind the Curtain of the Hermit Kingdom" Making the case that China is part of the problem, not the solution.
Representative Sample: So far, as in each and every other instance of the last decade, including the sinking of a ROK Navy frigate this past Spring (with the loss of 46 sailors), China’s response has not substantively altered. Once again, intransigence regarding their North Korean allies.
3. "Restraining South Korea" I don't think this is the case, but it could be.
Representative Sample: clearly this is designed to be an alternative to a military response by South Korea. We would never have agreed to send a carrier into those waters if it coincided with a South Korean air strike against the North Korean artillery units responsible for the barrage.
4. "The Descent of the Left" Leftist magazine hates libertarians.
Representative Sample: Anytime anyone says anything libertarian, spit on them. Libertarians are by definition enemies of the state.
5. "America’s New Victim Group: “The 99′ers”" Because nearly 2 years of unemployment benefits just aren't enough..
Representative Sample: Why are they victims? Because the jerk Republicans think that after nearly two years of unemployment benefits it might be time for these people to, you know, find jobs.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.