Sunday, November 14, 2010

Why Many on the Right Distrust Scientists

There's a post up on the blog Why Evolution is True called, "At least 80% of Republicans are morons." A the blog name may indicate, the author, Jerry Coyne, is a scientist and prominent defender of evolution. What's his rationale for concluding that most Republicans are morons? A Gallup poll found that 80% have a favorable view of Palin. Here's Coyne,
I am unable to imagine, much less sympathize with, a mentality that sees Sarah Palin as a viable politician of any sort.
That must be because, despite your education and knowledge of science, you are a complete idiot when it comes to politics, totally out of touch in your own little echo chamber. I'm no fan of Palin, but it is quite obvious why she's a viable politician, and why she appeals to many people.
And how could one imagine that such a mercurial and unthinking creature could be an effective President?
What are the odds that this guy voted for our minimally qualified, incompetent current leader, Barack Obama? 
It’s impossible for me to say to the Palin-ites, “I disagree strongly with your views, but I respect you as a person.” People with such views deserve no respect.

Coyne is a living example of why many on the right distrust scientists. When certain scientists make political pronouncements and reveal themselves as arrogant, clueless leftists, it naturally fosters distrust among those with differing political views.  This distrust can carry over to science itself. Some people will ask, if this scientist is nothing more than a typical leftist, why should I believe anything he says? He obviously believes nonsense when it comes to politics, so I should also take his scientific arguments with a grain of salt.

8 comments:

  1. Maybe. But do you really think that the creationists and Palin-supporters he's talking about (at least in general) would be trolling blog-sites such as his? You're certainly right that a put-off reaction among republicans and conservatives would likely ensue upon reading of comments like his; but how often, I wonder, are the conservatives he's talking about exposed to science?

    I'd say that most on the right are 'skeptical' of scientists because they formulate ideas that directly contradict their views.

    Hell, I literally just started reading Mary Roach's "Bonk: the curious coupling of science and sex" an hour ago, and I already see why people on the right (who are MOST of the time religious in nature) would be inimical to the views of scientists.

    Feel free to comment and criticize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you feel that way about atheists, Dav. I'm sure Jesus would approve of your "atheists eat shit" comments.

    While I'm typically not a tattle-tale, I'm almost tempted to report your "cut off your heads" comment. Bah. You're just a miserable crank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark said:

    "I'd say that most on the right are 'skeptical' of scientists because they formulate ideas that directly contradict their views."

    It is probably true for a lot of conservatives, particularly religious conservatives, that the actual conclusions that scientists reach are the problem.

    Nevertheless I don't think the rise of the 'activist scientist' who claims or implies that a certain government policy is mandated by science helps their image much either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Maybe. But do you really think that the creationists and Palin-supporters he's talking about (at least in general) would be trolling blog-sites such as his?"

    Creationists do sometimes seem to troll science sites defending evolution. But I'm more using him as an example. If a prominent scientist is also an outspoken member of the political left, some people have trouble separating political views from science. Witness how many people on the right think climate change is some sort of left-wing hoax.

    "I'd say that most on the right are 'skeptical' of scientists because they formulate ideas that directly contradict their views."

    I think that's most true of creationists, where religious beliefs trump science no matter what scientist is making the argument. But many other areas of science have no direct conflict with intepretations of the Bible.

    "Nevertheless I don't think the rise of the 'activist scientist' who claims or implies that a certain government policy is mandated by science helps their image much either."

    Exactly. If scientists are seen as activists, it undermines their scientific credibility as they are now viewed as biased in the service of some cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark,

    Dav is the same person as DM who used to spam this blog(and many other atheist sites.) He was gone for awhile but must have been released from whatever mental institution was holding him. Just ignore him. I delete his laughable threats when I get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a fellow believer in evolution, I used to read his blog. I stopped when I realized he's a virulent hate monger. I get sick of the constant cheerleading and bashing of other people that goes on at his site, even at the FriendlyAthiest blog (moreso in the comments though).

    What's far worse than some more politically outspoken scientists are the science journalists, who don't have much training in science. These people bash and insult and at the same time engage in awful non-scientific pronouncements, which not only annoys the scientist they are interviewing but also undermines the work of the scientist when it's presented so simple mindedly and almost religiously. The common person knows about as much as a science journalist, and has the same ability to overcome their own prejudice and not engage in logical fallacies, which is not much at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Friendly Atheist blog overall, although I don't read the comment section too often. I agree that Coyne is just too wrapped up in attacking people, even fellow scientists, who dare disagree with him.

    Good points about science journalists. The political ones bring the attitude of Coyne without the scientific knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meh. I'm a Republican and I also think Sarah Palin is an idiot.

    ReplyDelete