1. "US Government is Now the New Illinois" No, that's not a good thing.
Representative Sample: Only in the senate do we have any hope, and this is just a slight hope, of keeping the pace of the runaway spending train below the absolute top speed possible.
2. "Royal Navy Still Sinking: Eight More Warships to Go" The sad decline of Britain, naval edition.
Representative Sample: In 1997, the British government said the Royal Navy needed 32 frigates and destroyers to protect the country’s interests. Today, the Royal Navy has just 22 surface warships.
3. "The stupidity of some Malay Muslims" Is there anything that can't offend some Muslims?
4. "Study: Fewer Parents Rely on Religious Texts for Child-Rearing" Even among evangelicals.
Representative Sample: Only 14 percent indicate they are very familiar with what the Bible has to say about parenting, the research revealed. Twenty-seven percent of Protestant parents are very familiar with what the Bible has to say about parenting compared to only 7 percent of Catholic parents.
5. "Orthorexia" Good news about less religion in parenting? Here's some bad news of a different nature.
Representative Sample: The New York Times reports the emergence of children with such strongly instilled food concerns they are afraid to eat. Doctors have coined the term orthorexia for the phenomenon.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.