1. "Goo-Goo Genocidaires: The Blood Is Dripping From Their Hands" Overstated and too sweeping an argument, but a provocative piece that makes some effective points.
Representative Sample: Unreflective, self-righteous ‘activists’ thought that to espouse peace was the same thing as to create or safeguard it. As a result, tens of millions died. Unless this kind of thinking is exposed and repudiated, it is likely to lead to as many or more deaths in the 21st.
2. "Guilty Until Proven Guilty" An excellent article about the ridiculous double standard applied against Israel. Makes the important point that the U.S. is vulnerable to exactly the same thing.
Representative Sample: Americans should understand by now that fighting enemies who shoot from civilian areas and hide behind human shields -- or sometimes masquerade as civilians -- will often require that soldiers make difficult choices, and will inevitably produce mistakes. To the extent that we in the West blur the line between those fighting terrorism and the terrorists themselves, we help legitimize a standard that will boomerang back on ourselves. It already has.
3. "Is the U.S.-Mexico border becoming our version of the Gaza Strip?" Let's hope not. But don't expect the spineless Obama to stand up for U.S. interests.
Representative Sample: Regular violence; rock-throwing youths; the occasional death and/or injury; images of family members sobbing over caskets cast worldwide amid accusations of racism and brutality.
4. "A New Turkey?" Thoughts from a Turkish blogger.
Representative Sample: As I see it, the slide of Turkey to a more Islamist stance has economic roots. Just like the Americas Bible Belt, Turkey always had a strongly religious Anatolian heartland and middle class. Since 1980’s with the integration of Turkey into world markets, this religious heartland and middle class are progressing economically better than the secular, bourgeois and more or less Westerly oriented city people are doing.
5. "Bribes, Bombs And Blind Faith" Stupidity & corruption.
Representative Sample: Why are Iraqi police still using a bomb detector known to be a scam (it simply does not work.) Over four months ago, the Iraqi government agreed to investigate the purchase of $85 million worth of ADE 651 explosives detectors.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.