Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Post About Posting

I was just skimming through the news and the blogosphere looking for something to post about and came up blank. So I thought I'd offer some comments about how I approach posting. Unlike some bloggers, I don't like to write about things I know little about, unless they are susceptible to a purely logical sort of treatment not requiring specific knowledge. The other exception is when I put up an isn't this interesting type of post. But in general I look for something that I know about, have a strong opinion on, care about, am in the mood to write about, and that has an angle or emphasis not covered by a bunch of other bloggers. Often finding that combination can be difficult.

As anyone reading this blog probably knows, along with reading all sorts of news sources, I regularly look at Memeorandum to see what's hot in the blogosphere. It's often a good source of things to write about. But sometimes it isn't for various reasons. Here's some of what's on there right now, and why I'm not writing about any of it.

"Who is Alvin Greene?" Who cares? I don't. Not at this point in the election cycle.

"White House official: 'Organized labor just flushed $10 million down the toilet'" Good. That pretty much covers it.

"The Alien in the White House." Obama is detached and out of touch. No kidding.

"Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed" Don't own one, don't care.

"
U.N. Security Council Passes New Sanctions Against Iran" I think anyone reading this blog for any length of time knows what I think about these sort of weak gestures against Iran.

"Sarah Palin (DD-Alaska)" Speculation about whether Sarah Palin's breasts look larger. I like breasts, and Palin is very attractive, but I don't have much to say about this issue.

"Why Obama doesn't dare become the angry black man" A pretty silly argument and one I might respond to, but others have said what I would have.

"The Spill, The Scandal and the President" Obama is incompetent and hasn't handled it well. Enough said for the moment on my end.

"Was Israel A Mistake?" I could spend every day shredding the arguments of a prolific ignoramus like Andrew Sullivan, but I have to be in the mood for that sort of post.

You get the idea. I'm not sure about other bloggers, but in my opinion my best posts come when I'm thinking about a topic and have an idea I want to write about, or if I'm inspired (either in a good or bad way) by something I come across. It's much more difficult to come up with something good if you are actively looking for something to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment