1. "If radical Islamic bombers ever become competent, the West could have a problem" Yes. In general we've been very lucky since 9/11.
Representative Sample: When those who would kill you declare war on you as these killers have, you have two choices – fight the war or surrender. You can’t decide not to participate. It doesn’t work that way
2. "The Top 10 Economic Myths of 2010" Missed some, but a pretty good list..
Representative Sample: Like a magician creating an illusion, the news media, Treasury Department and General Motors pulled one over on taxpayers in early 2010, or at least they tried to. The bailed-out auto company issued a highly misleading advertisement claiming, "We have repaid our government loan, in full with interest, five year ahead of the original schedule."
3. "The Progressive Assault on the Electoral College" The left's dislike for the electoral college and continuing desire to destroy federalism is yet another indication that we need to keep it.
Representative Sample: The Electoral College was a way to protect the voice of small states from the tyranny of the majority. What the progressives want to do is to follow up what they did with the seventeenth amendment. Instead of having fifty-one election districts for president, represented by the states and the District of Columbia, they want to have one election district consisting of the entire nation. Why not then abolish the state boundaries and the states themselves?
4. "Clausewitz vs. Sun Tzu" Links to an interesting article/debate.
Representative Sample: The US military could use more Sun Tzu; it is far more Clausewitzian in the perspective of the officer corps than it is “Sun Tzuite”, but the armed services are not the Children of Clausewitz. Not even the US Army. We’d probably be better off if the American military was more thoroughly one or the other in terms of strategic culture than the industrial age, bureaucratic, ad hoc, legacy thinking non-strategic hodgepode that currently prevails.
5. "Video: Metrodome Roof Collapses" If you aren't a football fan and somehow missed this, check it out. It would have been very bad had this happened during a game.
Representative Sample: It's a video.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.