1. "Next Year's Wars" Trouble spots to keep an eye on.
Representative Sample: Across the globe today, you'll find almost three dozen raging conflicts, from the valleys of Afghanistan to the jungles of the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the streets of Kashmir. But what are the next crises that might erupt in 2011? Here are a few worrisome spots that make our list.
2. "HuffPo op-ed: How a liberal can defend Israel" It doesn't happen too often, but a liberal gives a strong defense of Israel.
Representative Sample: Sometimes, it's the seemingly small things, the things that many may not even notice, or just take for granted, or perhaps deliberately ignore, lest it spoil their airtight thinking.
3. "Investing in Assange" Major publishers financing an enemy of the U.S.
Representative Sample: These publishers deserve, at the very least, considerable opprobrium for throwing a lifeline to the odious Julian Assange, an Internet vandal pursuing, by his own admission, an anti-American agenda. They should certainly be in the sights of the Justice Department as it contemplates legal action against Assange.
4. "Portugal's Drug Peace" What's happened in Portugal since it decriminalized personal drug use?
Representative Sample: The number of regular users held steady at less than 3 percent of the population for marijuana and less than 0.3 percent for heroin and cocaine - figures which show decriminalization brought no surge in drug use.
5. "Worst Lawsuit of 2010" Choose from a variety of ridiculous lawsuits.
Representative Sample: An Oregon man claims in a lawsuit Idaho police destroyed the mystical powers of a medicine bag when they opened it during his drunken driving arrest in August.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.