1. "Don't Forget Qaddafi's Western Enablers" That list includes quite a few people.
Representative Sample: Reporting on Western and especially European policy toward the Middle East can be maddening and frustrating. Oil-rich dictatorships and monarchies are cosseted and flattered — even as Western critics demand Gandhian standards of tolerance and forebearance from democratic Israel, surrounded by exterminationist enemies.
2. "Echoes of the Soviet Surge" I was prepared to see a bad analogy and instead found a pretty solid analysis.
Representative Sample: Afghanistan's early spring of 1985 offers a striking parallel with its current season of discontent, and as the U.S. government pushes ahead with its strategy, it would be wise to study how the Soviets failed in fighting and ending their war.
3. "Muslim denial about what being Muslim is about" A point that needs to be made, regardless of the inevitable accusations of "Islamophobia" that will come from some Muslims and their useful idiots.
Representative Sample: I don’t care about the “real Islam,” or what “Islam teaches.” All I care is that Muslims stop engaging in active persecution of non-Muslims. All I care is that Muslims march out into the streets and take back their public spaces in nations where they are the majority from the thugs. I’m not holding my breath.
4. "Raising the Debt Limit: It Just Makes Sense. Not." Maybe we should ignore the prophets of doom and actually try doing something different instead of piling on more debt.
Representative Sample: The limit has been raised no fewer than 10 times in the past decade. When Republicans ran the White House and the Congress, they voted overwhelmingly to charge it and Democrats, including Sen. Obama, hollered bloody murder. In 2006,he called the need to yet again increase the debt limit “a sign of leadership failure.” Now that Dems run the show, the GOP has suddenly rediscovered its inner cheapskate.
5. "Danger Room: Military Drops Crazy ‘ICBMS vs. Terrorists’ Plan" Switching to "hypersonic glider" weapons instead.
Representative Sample: A few years back, the military came up with the bright idea of swapping out the nuclear warheads on some of America’s land- and sea-based ballistic missiles for conventional explosives, transforming city-obliterating rockets into so-called “Prompt Global Strike” systems
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.