1. "Obama Is a Cheney Realist" Bad/Dumb title, but good post. The criticism he's getting for his "absorb" a terrorist attack comment is ridiculous.
Representative Sample: President Obama has been getting a lot of heat from conservatives for a quote in Bob Woodward's new book. It reads: "We can absorb a terrorist attack. We'll do everything we can to prevent it, but even a 9/11, even the biggest attack ever … we absorbed it and we are stronger."
2. "The U.N.’s Perpetual Effort to Attain the Power to Tax" Something that can never be permitted to happen.
Representative Sample: Creating an international tax to fund the U.N. and other multilateral programs has long been a dream of global government advocates. Over the years, various U.N. reports and government officials have proposed taxing currency transactions and carbon, airline flights, international arms sales, resources harvested from outer space or the oceans, and e-mail.
3. "Science Fiction is a Genre That Everyone Should Read" Interesting article.
Representative Sample: Science fiction is perhaps best understood by an alternative name for the genre: speculative fiction. It is fiction that asks questions about the human condition and the meaning of life by taking us beyond everyday life. We go to strange planets, far distant futures or even to our own past — in order to learn about who we really are. Science fiction takes its readers to far off galaxies in order to help them understand life on earth more clearly
4. "Back from the Dead" Nuclear energy in Europe and the political struggle over it.
Representative Sample: even if certain countries revert once again to anti-nuclear policies, nuclear energy could continue to thrive simply by crossing borders. If Germany decides to shut down its reactors, for example, German utilities could build new plants in more nuclear-friendly countries like Poland or the Czech Republic -- with new grids to ship electricity across borders.
5. "UAVs Pushed For Missile Defense" Sounds like an idea that might have some promise.
Representative Sample: Advocacy of an air-launched, missile defense system is being proposed by two veterans of the Pentagon’s “Star Wars” era and a 1990s program to mate unmanned aerial systems (UAS) and long-range air-to-air weapons.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.