1. "It's the Chinese, Stupid" Democrats bashing China. Apparently they'd like Americans to pay far more for various products.
Representative Sample: When times are tough in your district, find someone else to blame. With U.S. midterm election campaigns now in high gear, the boogeyman of choice in regions with high unemployment and sluggish manufacturing is -- unsurprisingly -- China. And with President Barack Obama struggling to cajole an apathetic base, Democrats have been playing the red-menace card more than their Republican opponents.
2. "Ayaan Hirsi Ali Speaks Out" Excerpts and links to an interesting interview.
Representative Sample: the idea that American citizens would be forced to change their identity and go underground for fear that they may be killed for merely criticizing a religion is “outrageous” in the modern world in which we are supposed to be living.
3. "What’s the Spirit of the Bayonet?" Training for war means training to kill.
Representative Sample: Never is military training so profoundly, terrifyingly, emotionally violent as during bayonet training. When 200 men scream “KILL, KILL, KILL!” and charge plywood targets it feels a bit insane. Rifles are broken as bayonets are pounded through plywood targets. Men literally froth at the mouth. It is ritualistic warrior blood lust.
4. "What’s Really the Bigger Deal?" Burning Korans or schools?
Representative Sample: It's a cartoon.
5. "Government Mail: U.S. Post Office Is Broke" The amazing feat of going broke while enjoying a total monopoly on first-class mail.
Representative Sample: I wonder what the price of gas would be if it were produced by a government agency? Despite raising prices far faster than the rate of inflation, the Post Office still cannot operate profitably. In fact, it has operated at a deficit for years and is now out of cash.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.