1. "Crisis in Turkey" Things are not looking good.
Representative Sample:The arrest and indictment of top military figures in Turkey last week precipitated potentially the most severe crisis since Atatürk founded the republic in 1923. The weeks ahead will probably indicate whether the country continues its slide toward Islamism or reverts to its traditional secularism
2. "The Ends Justify The Means" A new court-packing scheme?
Representative Sample: A new idea has emerged from at least one liberal, er progressive. Barack Obama should add more justices to the Supreme Court so that he can get what he wants. OK, the idea is not new. As the article espousing such an idea points out, the Constitution does not say how many justices are to be on the SCOTUS and the size of it has changed over the years, often for political purposes.
3. "A Simple No Is Now a Filibuster" Another word being misused.
Representative Sample:There sure are a lot of liberals, mainly in Congress and the news media, that need to go grab a dictionary or do a little research on what a filibuster actually is.
4. "Somali Pirates Get "Danish Treat" - Mother Ship Sunk, Pirates Sent Packing" The only thing lacking was the death of a bunch of pirates. But still a positive action.
Representative Sample: A NATO task force intercepted and sank a pirate mother ship off the Horn of Africa in a pre-emptive bid to disrupt the raiders' attacks on merchant ships ahead of peak piracy season.
5. "The Rumor of War" A world war of a different kind?
Representative Sample: What if World War 3 has started and nobody knew it? If conflict in the 21st century takes takes the form of intelligence operations and targeted assassinations is it really war any more?
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.