1. "New at Reason: David Harsanyi on Saying No to Democracy" Unobstructed majority rule is not a good thing.
Representative Sample: we're actually lucky that the minority political party has the ability to obstruct, nag, and filibuster the majority's agenda. Otherwise, those in absolute power would run wild.
2. "Democrat Stimulus Plan Goes Back to the 70’s" Carteresque.
Representative Sample: They want to dole out more unemployment and Medicaid funds for the states. Because you know, the unemployed are known for creating jobs. Oh, sorry, I was supposed to be serious.
3. "Christopher Hitchens Interviewed by Unitarian Minister Marilyn Sewell" If it's Hitchens it has to be interesting.
Representative Sample: I don’t have whatever it takes to say things like “the grace of God.” All that’s white noise to me, not because I’m an intellectual. For many people, it’s gibberish. Likewise, the idea that the Koran was dictated by an archaic illiterate is a fantasy. As so far the most highly evolved of the primates, we do seem in the majority to have a tendency to worship, and to look for patterns that lead to supernatural conclusions. Whereas, I think that there is no supernatural dimension whatever..
4. "Maritime Security: Navy UAV Strike Force?" The drone future of naval airpower?
Representative Sample: Unlike other unmanned aerial vehicles, the X-47B - which looks like a miniature B-2 Stealth bomber - is intended as a strike aircraft that can operate from aircraft carrier flight decks.
5. "DARPA calls for an unmanned A-10 -- literally, perhaps" Speaking of drones.
Representative Sample: the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is now seeking proposals for the unmanned component of a next generation close air support system.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.