1. "War and politics"And the case of Mullah Baradar.
Representative Sample: Clearly the Afghan War is tinged by more than its share of politics. Even in Washington and New York a political game is being played out. The BBC interviewed the New York Times to ask them why they so readily agreed to hold a scoop on Baradar’s capture at the request of President Obama whereas they vociferously objected to similar requests by President Bush.
2. "President Palin? Five Reasons It's More Likely Than You Think" This article should put a scare into rabid Palin-haters.
Representative Sample:The reality is that Sarah Palin is a serious contender for the 2012 Republican Party nomination. And if things don't get better economically, she may just win the general election as well.
3. "Catholic Sex Abuse in Germany" Here we go again. The Catholic Church and sex abuse just seem to go together.
Representative Sample: the pattern we're now seeing from abuse victims who've come forward is very much the same as we've seen in other countries - sexual predators among the priesthood whose proclivities were well known to the church higher-ups, but who were quietly shuffled from parish to parish rather than turned over to law enforcement, enabling them to continue preying on innocents
4. "A Scale Depicting Extraordinary Claims" Interesting analysis.
Representative Sample: 1) The larger the claim is then the less likely it is to be true. 2) The larger the claim is then the more evidence is needed to show that it is true. 3) The larger the claim is then the more other things have to be defended such that if any one of these other things are shown to be improbable then the whole house of cards falls to the ground.
5. "Top Ten Reasons Men Prefer Guns Over Women" Pretty funny. The women's version is in the comments.
Representative Sample: #8. If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.