Saturday, September 5, 2009

Wolfowitz on NPR

While I was driving today I listened to NPR's All Things Considered.  They had an interview with former Bush administration Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz -- if you could call it that. Wolfowitz evaded most of the questions, and basically repeated his mantra that U.S. promotion of democratic principles doesn't have anything to do with what happened in the Iraq War. 

I'm not sure what Wolfowitz's purpose was in even doing this interview. He didn't want to talk about Iraq, refused to give specifics on anything he was asked, and basically had very little to say. And he sounded defensive the whole time. The interviewer was obviously frustrated and came off like he was badgering, but I don't blame him since his subject was so unresponsive. I don't even agree with Wolfowitz on his main foreign policy views, and I could have defended them better than he did. Read the interview and see what you think. It doesn't look quite as bad in writing, but it was pretty grating to hear.

Here's my unsolicited advice for Paul Wolfowitz. If you do an interview, be prepared to defend or explain your decisions before & during the Iraq War. And don't pretend that your prior record is unrelated to anything you might have to say today. If you'd rather not do that, stick to writing and stay away from live interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment