Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Department of the Obvious

I just saw an item on Memorandum that links an article from the Sydney Morning Herald. The title? "Attacks on aid workers harm humanitarian efforts." Really?! So killing people who provide humanitarian aid actually damages humanitarian relief efforts. No way, I never would have guessed. 

The article is by John Holmes, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief co-ordinator. He points out that,

The past two years have been successively the most deadly for aid workers on record. Too often, UN and NGO flags and emblems are no longer protections but provocations.
There's nothing wrong with the article itself, but whoever came up with that headline might want to put a little more thought into it next time.

2 comments:

  1. I hear that cutting down trees gets rid of forests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is off-topic but please listen. I am getting hurt pretty bad and I am asking for you help. There is a very dangerous culture out there that is persecuting me because I disagree with some things that it has done. Currently I am being spied on tortured, poisoned (my heart isn't doing so good)... Please read my story and if there is anything you can do I'd sincerely appreciate your help. http://www.urltrim.co.cc/885/

    ReplyDelete