Thursday, August 13, 2009

Speculation About Cheney's Memoirs

The Washington Post has a report with the highly misleading title of "Cheney Uncloaks His Frustration With Bush." When I saw the title I read it to see what the ex-vp had to say about the former president, only to find something missing -- actual statements about Bush by Dick Cheney. Instead I found hearsay about things Cheney supposedly said in private conversations, and speculation disguised as reporting. The entire article is much ado about nothing.

Most political memoirs can be loosely described as self-serving packs of lies, and I expect nothing different from Dick Cheney. I won't be surprised if he has some criticism of Bush, although I don't expect it to be all that harsh. But if he follows the standard memoir format, it will be necessary to point out how things would have gone much better if only his ideas and advice had been followed more closely. Making that case naturally requires criticizing others.

No comments:

Post a Comment