1. "Does the Government Think You’re Stupid? Or a Child?" Yes and yes. And so do people who advocate bigger government.
Representative Sample: if the modern welfare state teaches us anything, it is that we must be cocooned and protected as if we were a newborn babe, or prevented from harming ourselves because we're too stupid to know any better. It's not enough that government warn us that the stove is hot. They must put on oven mitts for us and then place a 10 foot high sign in front of our face telling us not to touch anything.
2. "War Crimes?" Someone is always ready to condemn almost any act of war as a "war crime." Another example of why the laughably named UN Human Rights Council can't and shouldn't be taken seriously.
Representative Sample: They can, as would have the previous administration, stick with their claim that the UN’s Human Rights council has absolutely no jurisdiction or say in the issue (something I happen to agree with) and risk being branded “war criminals”, or they can capitulate to the “legal” argument and submit justification for using these weapons in combat against terrorists
3. "Turkey: An Ally No More" An ally of Israel that is.
Representative Sample: Implicit in this strategy is a distancing of Turkey from the West in general and Israel in particular. Although not presented in Islamist terms, "strategic depth" closely fits the AK party's Islamist world view.
4. "Bad driving may have genetic basis, UCI study finds" Sounds like a good excuse when you get pulled over. Listen officer, I couldn't help it. I have bad driving genes.
Representative Sample: People with a particular gene variant performed more than 20 percent worse on a driving test than people without it -- and a follow-up test a few days later yielded similar results. About 30 percent of Americans have the variant.
5. "Another Brick" An interesting analogy.
Representative Sample: A worldview is not some kind of coherent whole, it is not something that can be easily summed up by 1 “ism” word. Each of us has assembled their view over the years piece by piece.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.