1. "Forecast: Death of the American Constitution" Some negative thoughts to think about on the 4th.
Representative Sample:Once we no longer revere the Constitution, or even know what it says, it becomes a different kind of living document. Its meaning now changes to conform to the current needs of our ruling elites. We return to the state of the Romans before the laws were posted on the Twelve Tables of ivory (or brass) and posted in the Forum for all to see. Or, if history repeats as farce, we are like the beasts in George Orwell’s Animal Farm. The laws are written on the side of the barn, but most are too stupid to realize that they are changed by the pigs during the night.
2. "Other* notable events from July 4" Interesting list.
Representative Sample: 1827 – Slavery is abolished in New York State
3. "A Conversation with Robert D. Kaplan" Interviewed by Michael Totten. One of the more interesting posts I've read in awhile.
Representative Sample: We discussed Colombo’s brutal counterinsurgency campaign there against the Tamil Tigers, what China has been up to while no one was looking, Russia’s revived imperial project in its "near abroad," the geopolitcal ramifications of a more liberal Iran, Israel’s difficulty in fighting effective counterinsurgency warfare, and our new man-hunting General Stanley McChrystal in Afghanistan.
4. "Storm Clouds on the Fourth of July" Not optimistic about the state of the nation.
Representative Sample: I don’t think I’ve ever seen my country so divided and depressed on the Fourth of July in my lifetime and - no matter what Bob Dylan dreamed up - I’m not young, forever or otherwise. That includes the Vietnam War period
5. "Washington on the Second Amendment" Good graphic.
Representative Sample: It's a graphic.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.