Friday, July 3, 2009

Sarah Palin's Resignation

Rather than be horribly wrong, at this point I'm going to say that there is too little information to draw any firm conclusions about the real reasons behind Sarah Palin's resignation as governor of Alaska. I'm not a Palin fan, although I don't hate her, or even dislike her. Although I'm an atheist, I find the attacks on her based on her religious beliefs irrelevant, since there is little evidence that she's tried to combine them with her state office. The other personal attacks on her and her family are typical of the left, which can't tolerate women or minorities who don't know their place, and dare to be outspoken conservatives. But her performance as vice-presidential candidate showed me nothing that indicates that she'd be a good presidential nominee for the GOP. Instead, it showed that she was unready for national office and had a poor grasp on the issues, beyond parroting basic talking points over and over.

I've seen nothing to indicate that Palin would be a better candidate in 2012, or that she in any way deserves a presidential or even vice-presidential nomination. Her followers among the base of the party are fanatical worshippers who can't tolerate any criticism of Palin, no matter how well deserved. They remind me of some Obama-supporters. I hope the GOP can find a better candidate that's widely acceptable within the party, and who can appeal to independents. And that's not Sarah Palin.

3 comments:

  1. The other personal attacks on her and her family are typical of the left, which can't tolerate women or minorities who don't know their place, and dare to be outspoken conservatives.

    No, that's not it. I am a woman, and my family includes a few different types of minorities. First of all, as a woman, McCain's apparent belief that if I voted for Clinton, I'll vote for any vagina was enraging.

    Then there was her scary lack of knowledge, paraded about as a virtue. She is a prolifer who couldn't name Roe v. Wade when asked about SCOTUS. I thought they all knew that. Prolifers who don't know what the SCOTUS is know that one.

    I also enjoyed her habit of parading Trig around like a mascot, at 11:00 at night, or out in the sun and heat. And the winking. Yeesh. How many years of feminism for her to wink all over the place?

    The final straw was her debate with Biden, which she started out by asking him if she could call him "Joe". I thought that was a little odd, but then she busts out with, "Say it ain't so, Joe" with the pride of a small child unveiling a prank.

    All in all, the thought of her possibly being POTUS during the current Iranian situation makes my blood run cold. I bet she's not done with us yet, though.

    Oh, and happy Fourth of July! I hope the day holds many tasty grilled items for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the stuff you point out I have no problem with, since it is all legitimate criticism -- and which I mainly agree with. But the sheer hatred behind many of the attacks on her is what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she probably got tired of all the attention; maybe she's not cut out to be a celebrity after all

    ReplyDelete