1. "NEWS FROM THE FRINGES" Thoughts on conspiracy theories and the theorists who spout them.
Representative Sample: For a while, the conspiracy culture in America was little seen or heard. Following the banishment of the John Birch Society from mainstream conservatism, modern paranoids were left without a mouthpiece to reach the population at large. They were indeed confined to the fringes where they argued incessantly among themselves in their little known journals and magazines while the world moved forward.
2. "Euro-think" What does torture in Turkey have to do with the Bush administration?
Representative Sample: Torture is ubiquitous in Turkey, and goes ignored. There are trying to dus tit under the rug for the sake of what the neighbors might see, but little else, especially because there has been little or no logic at all to the torture that has taken place in Turkey long before they started to pretend that George Bush somehow darkened the earth for the first time in human history.
3. "Religious Affiliation Among US Youth At All-Time Low" Speculation on reasons why.
Representative Sample: I’ll guarantee you it’s the stance that churches take on abstinence and pre-marital sex that has driven the youth away. If churches were to abandon their positions on sexual issues, membership among the young would probably gradually rise. I’m not saying that is a good thing, but it’s likely true.
4. "Yes, but does the end justify the means?"Another good story involving guns.
Representative Sample: The MSM and ACLU don’t really support citizens defending civil rights in this way. They prefer to leave that to the police. They remind us that we should rely on law enforcement in these situations because, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
5. "An atheist with a battleaxe" I just linked this site a couple days ago. But there's no way I could resist a story about an atheist Viking.
Representative Sample: Hrafnkell’s Saga is an old Icelandic tale dating back to around the 13th century. It tells the story of the eponymous warrior chieftain, a fearsome fighter who terrorised the valleys around his home, and made a habit of never paying weregild
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.