1. "The Middle Eastern Cold War" Interesting perspective.
Representative Sample: The present cold war goes back to 1979, when Ayatollah Khomeini seized power in Tehran and harbored grand ambitions to destabilize other states in the region to impose his brand of revolutionary Islam. Those ambitions waned after Khomeini's death in 1989 but roared back to life with Ahmadinejad's presidency in 2005 along with the building of weapons of mass destruction, widespread terrorism, engagement in Iraq, and the claim to Bahrain.
2. "NeoCon Derangement Syndrome On Steroids" That would be Andrew Sullivan's increasingly bizarre ranting about "neocons."
Representative Sample: you would think American "NeoCons" (whoever they may be) were in the streets swinging batons from the backs of motorcycles, trashing the library at Tehran University, and breaking into homes in pursuit of demonstrators.
3. "Obama’s Law Breaking Is Political Courage" For some reason, hysterical concern for the "rule of law" only applies when Republicans are supposedly threatening it.
Representative Sample: Obama has fired an inspector general who was investigating wrongdoing by one of his supporters (a friend of his wife) and has reportedly fired two others with whom his ideas were at odds. Obama did not follow the law that he cosponsored with regard to the firings. In other words, he broke the law by not following procedures.
4. "Navy LaWS smokes several drones" Lasers vs. Drones. Lasers win.
Representative Sample: A total of five targets were engaged and destroyed during the testing, also a first for the U.S. Navy.
5. "It's hard being a libertarian" As someone who isn't a libertarian, but has a weird mix of positions that alienate people on both sides, I can sympathize.
Representative Sample: Libertarians don't have anything to offer, like national healthcare, union protection or political power. The one thing we do offer, no one wants -- freedom to voluntarily develop solutions. I mean, we want to limit government power -- and that won't get you invited to parties.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.