Sunday, December 13, 2009

HOT5 Daily 12/13/2009

1. "Civis Romanus Sum" I've been making a similar version of this argument for years.

Representative Sample: while some lament the residual inequalities between citizens and enemy aliens, Hamburger argues that the elimination of the distinction has made it conceptually difficult to consistently and coherently fight terrorism. By throwing everyone into the same category, authorities are placed in a dilemma where effective and expedient actions against terrorism also have the effect of eroding the civil rights of the citizens.

2. "How Far Should Atheists Go?" Another person who doesn't think atheists should try to act like the religious.

Representative Sample: Atheism is not a religion, it has no business pretending to be a religion, taking part in religious rituals or presenting itself in religious terms. I think the idea of any atheist church is absurd and frankly, I have little respect for atheists who feel the need to go to a Unitarian or other sort of quasi-religious service to feel part of a community. 

3. "BOOKS I RECOMMEND" Some interesting recommendations.

Representative Sample:I have had countless mails from numerous visitors asking for books I would recommend on military, intelligence and other related issues.

4. "The Never Ceasing Export Rumor" Will Obama sell submarines to Taiwan?

Representative Sample: It can be said that new administrations often bring new policies, and this would be an interesting development, but this rumor has been around a very long time.

5. "Anatomy of the Velvet Divorce" The case of Czechoslovakia.

Representative Sample: Czechoslovakia, seen by many Slovaks as a move to a Czech-centric state that they opposed. The unhappy marriage between the two states nonetheless lasted for three generations (more or less) until a relatively clean divorce in 1992.

To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.

1 comment:

  1. I agree in spades with #2. I've always envied churchgoers their ready-made social circle and support network. For that reason, I considered attending the North Texas Church of Freethought. Fortunately for me, they podcast their services, and I listened to 2 or 3 of them. I'm not sure what turned me off more: how pointlessly their services meander around from one banal topic to another, or their self-congratulatory tone. That podcast saved me the trouble of actually attending the "church," and helped me see how silly the whole idea of an atheist church is.

    ReplyDelete