1. "Theme of the ’00s? Unpaid Bills" Sounds about right.
Representative Sample: Whatever you call them, the years from 2000 on have been united by one great theme: This is the decade when the bills came due for neglected problems.
2. "Are islamic extremists like the anarchists?" A case for the law enforcement approach to terrorism.
Representative Sample: Today’s violence from islamic extremists has many similarities to the anarchists of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Using standard police and intelligence methods, Western governmens defeated the anarchists without massive restrictions on civil liberties and military operations. Post-9/11 history suggests that we can successfully cope with Islamic extremists using similar methods.
3. "13 Hardest Toys to Find this Christmas" You might not want to find these.
Representative Sample: Want to present your child with an unusual, one-of-a-kind gift that his friends will oooh and aaah over? Then check out my list: The 13 Hardest Toys to Find this Christmas. And they are hard to find, not because every Tom, Dick, and Mohammed is out there buying it, but because hardly anyone stocks them.
4. "Probable Super-Earths Found: One Nearby" New discoveries.
Representative Sample: Today, it's a little hard to keep up with what's been discovered recently, and what they're like.
5. "Extinct in 2010?" Jumping the gun on some of these.
Representative Sample: Tons of end-of-the-decade lists are popping up all over, but I was interested to see what would end up on a 'Gone Obsolete Since 1999' list.
To submit a blog post for HOT5 Daily, please e-mail me at unrright@NOSPAMgmail.com. Put HOT5 in the subject.